As I just came back from New Orleans for the French Quarter Festival I thought it would be great to share some tips to making the most of your festival experience and saving some money while at it! While these tips are based on the French Quarter Festival they should apply for any events happening in the French Quarter of New Orleans.
- Stay just outside the French Quarter on the trolley line, this runs 24/7 and will save you from the ridiculous cost of staying a bit closer!
- Since you can drink in public in New Orleans stock up before hand at a grocery store or big box types store on your drinks of choice. When you are not in festival specific areas you can drink your MUCH cheaper drinks which is a huge money saver as all the stores in the French Quarter are much more expensive than buying out of the area would be.
- Bring a HAT! The sun can be quite brutal and having something to keep the sun off your face is oh so important.
- If you’ve never visited before give yourself a day or two prior to the festival start to explore the city. If you don’t give your self exploration time you end up missing good food on the outskirts and some of the music when you are exploring.
- Finally with any festival stay hydrated! This is especially important if you are drinking a lot as you don’t want to get dehydrated!